Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Milton Friedman R.I.P - 佛老精神長存

I still remember when I first read the book Free to Choose. In it, Milton Friedman used us, the people of Hong Kong, to demonstrate a fail-safe method of improving the standards of living right across society, especially the most needy. Providing a beacon of hope to the desperate and a beacon of direction for government officials who are lost.

Our way of life here or more importantly, the way of life of our earlier generations in Hong Kong, the simple act of making a living under unbridled competition not only within, but with the world, has made everyone here a hero in my mind. I am proud to be, to live as a breathing example of what can, and will happen, if only the right policy choices are made.

For those who say "he will be missed", all I can say is that I already miss him.

所有從未經歷過連飯都沒得吃年代的香港年輕一輩,如要明白年長一代,當年日日返工放工,默默耕耘,到底有何偉大,只需要閱讀佛利民的著作《Free to Choose》,看看香港經濟是怎麼成功起來的。

上一代香港人偉大的理由,不但是因製造了一個經濟神話令香港現在一輩毋須擔心極貧飢餓,而是能證實給全世界所有人看,一個極貧的社會,是絕對有一種萬試萬靈的脫貧方法。

如果沒有一個像佛利民的人來解釋香港人成功的原因的話,相信今天世界上被貧困所煎熬的人會更多。

No comments:

Post a Comment